Tuesday, February 1, 2011

typical day

Ah, a typical tiring day of classes.

11am-12.30pm organic chemistry -- yay I received my much anticipated midterm back! It's slightly lower than I hoped for, but still good nonetheless. A 59/80 (according to the rumors) puts me at one standard deviation above the class. Of course, compared to my roommate who almost seized the top score, my grade is hardly a reason to celebrate.

1-4pm global health -- seems like a waste of time due to my inability to stay focus and attentive. I'm starting to feel just a bit more confident in my place among my group which has been very disconnected. My contact with one of my group members seems to be alright now (I still haven't spoken directly to the other member in the five weeks of the quarter). Our presentation is in exactly a week, so we really need to get on top of it. Unfortunately, the time we're set to meet conflicts with a peace corps session that I only found out afterwards, and I'm not sure if I can (or have the will power to) change the meeting time.

5.30-6.30pm dinner -- healthiest dinner made this year. I decided to eat very simple: chicken, 2:1 brown/white rice, and salad. Yum.

8-9:30pm homegroup core meeting. Besides the usual logistics, I found it particularly interesting that homegroup would propose a regular homeless ministry. Yesterday, four core members went to the event, and I believe each were touched by the friends out there like I was last quarter. Of course, their proposal will probably actually unfold as a regular event for Soli Deo - unlike when I made out that proposal last quarter. The fact of the matter is that people don't realize just how fun and encouraging it is to go out there; most only hear and give sympathy to the people in the streets, but in reality are probably too scared or apathetic to the idea. It's only when they go out there in person that they truly want to take the time to listen to their stories and truly care for them. That can only happen when groups put up outreach events like this. I highly doubt anyone would think to just do it with no prior experience. Nevertheless, the core that went yesterday spoke about how blessed they were by the homeless there and by how much we have to give rather than spend on ourselves on little commodities like food (again, all of which I've come to realize in the previous quarter).
Oh, the second interesting subject would be Jared's 5D camera that I never noticed until today. That sparked a conversation pointing to YY and his intent on also getting a DSLR. One thing I know about YY is that he is quite an impulsive buyer, and he will very likely end up buying a very expensive camera. He's currently looking at the rebel T2i (which I wouldn't recommend) and the whopping 5D! Yeah, maybe he's found an excellent deal, but for a starter camera, that's a huge hole in the pocket and a risk I wouldn't take. One of the biggest things I've learned this year about photography is that good cameras do not equate to good pictures. Great photographers are artists. People with good cameras are simply collectors. They don't always correlate, and it would be a huge shame to invest so much money into something that doesn't last long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment